Reading “Hamlet” has surprised me in
various ways. I thought that this was going to be a play that I would read for
my AP-Lit class, and after closing the book I would be done with it. I was
wrong. A play about a Prince trying to murder his Uncle seemed so distant to me
that I started to find it frustrating and unrelatable. What I didn’t realize is
the message that hides behind the story, which we can all relate to: procrastination.
Unfortunately, since I can remember I have
been a person who gets stressed very easily, and it certainly isn’t a
characteristic of mine, which I enjoy. After reading the article “ Viewpoint:
Why do we procrastinate so much” it made me even more stressed than what I
already was. Alter reading it, I reflected upon the times that I have
procrastinated, and I am not proud to say it, but there have been many times in
which I have made this despicable action. I also started to think about the
times that I haven’t done this, and how nice it feels. So it made me question:
why do I still keep on doing it?
In life there are always going to be things
that we enjoy more than others, and some we can actually hate. When I am
intelligent enough to make the move in which I do first the ones that I hate
and leave the ones that I love for last, I feel great. Once I finish homework
that I do no enjoy doing, it’s a load off of my back. But when it’s the other
way around, it’s the worst because the fun is over and the boring stuff begins.
This relates to what Hamlet did because he “experienced the
horror of crippling indecision and compulsive delaying tactics” like the “95%”
of us do as well. His decision of killing his uncle wasn’t an easy one that is
why it took him such a long time. Just like when we have to do a hard task, we
leave it until the end when destiny is the one that pushes us to do it. As I
have gotten older more responsibilities have come to me and more decisions I have
to make, regarding the order in which I do them because at the end of the day I
must have finished them all. That is when I have to stop and think what is best
for me to do: I shouldn’t follow Hamlet’s footsteps.
No comments:
Post a Comment